J. Baron Lesperance has obtained patent and trademark protection for his clients in a variety of fields, including electronics, transportation, medical device, and consumer product industries. He has prosecuted patent and trademark applications before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and has assisted clients in obtaining international patent protection in Europe, Asia, and the Americas. He regularly counsels clients on patents, trademarks, trade secrets, and portfolio management.
Mr. Lesperance has gained unique experience that he uses to help his clients – because he has been in your shoes. After leaving the DC office of a national IP firm, he joined the legal department at Alticor, the parent company of Amway.
There, he was responsible for a global portfolio of over 1200 patents and patent applications in wireless (inductive) charging technology. Mr. Lesperance cultivated relationships with the company’s scientists and engineers to understand the competition, the company’s position, and the patent landscape.
He now uses that experience to help his current clients stay ahead of the competition.
In addition, Mr. Lesperance has prior engineering experience. After graduating from Lawrence Technological University with a BSME, he started his engineering career at Lear Corporation. There, he was a test engineer for automotive interior components. He moved to Robert Bosch Automotive and later Hella to work on automotive lighting systems. Prior to finishing law school, Mr. Lesperance worked at the Ford Motor Company.
- Supreme Court of the United States 2005
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit 2002
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan 2003
- State Bar of Michigan 2002
- District of Columbia 2020
- Law Society of Ontario (Canada) 2019
- United States Patent and Trademark Office 2005
Professional Affiliations and Memberships
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) www.aipla.org
- International Trademark Association (INTA) www.inta.org
- Licensing Executives Society (LES) USA & Canada www.lesusacanada.org
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) www.ieee.org
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO) www.ipo.org
Conference Speaking Engagements:
AIPLA Webinar April 2020 – Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights: A Look At Last Year’s Most Important Decisions
- SCORE Association (www.score.org)
- Lawrence Technological University – Southfield, Michigan. Master of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2014.
- Western Michigan University Cooley Law School – Lansing, Michigan. Master of Laws in Intellectual Property, 2007.
- Western Michigan University Cooley Law School – Lansing, Michigan. Juris Doctor, 2002.
- Central Michigan University – Mt. Pleasant, Michigan. Master of Science in International Administration, 1998.
- Lawrence Technological University – Southfield, Michigan. Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 1996.